What Are Hiring Managers Looking For?
- You can do the job.
- You are a fit to their team.
- You have something unique to offer.
- You have relevant experiences.
- Your goals align with what they need.
- Your personal brand.
Resume Do’s and Don’ts
- Do add some tasteful design elements or a little color to make it unique.
- Do keep it simple and clean.
- Don’t use boring or unprofessional fonts like Times New Roman or Comic Sans.
- Do read the job description and highlight the most relevant technical and transferrable skills, and accomplishments.
- Do prioritize the order of information.
- Don’t misrepresent your education and experience.
- Do put your resume through the spell checker.
- Do have someone else review before applying.
- Don’t get too personal.
Example Job Requirements
Post secondary education in Art, Design or another related program
• At least 3 years of graphic design experience, ideally with some experience working for an ad agency
• Experience designing across digital, print and 3D applications including experience with packaging design
• Strong illustration capabilities and an eye for photography
• Understanding of the digital media and marketing industry with proven capability for adapting to new technologies and trends
• Experience in photo and video production to ensure execution aligns with original vision
• Strong project management capability including experience understanding, analyzing, and managing multiple inputs into the design process
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills